Fort Macleod Golf Club
9 Holes of History
Golf was first played in Fort Macleod in 1890; this was the first course to be built between Winnipeg and the West Coast. The area 250 yards from the first tee was used until about 1924 by the N.W.M.P. as a pistol and rifle range, shells can still be found on the side hill.
The trail coming down the coulee by no. 1 tee box and which is still very visible on no. 9 fairway is part of the old wagon trail to Calgary and was used by settlers from the Porcupine hills as well. On no. 2 fairway, about 100 yards from the tee box are buffalo wallows visible, lucky for us these are not as deep as the sand traps made by sheep.
Cattle and buffalo bones are still to be found near no. 3 green, the cattle bones are from a herd that perished there during a blizzard of 1898, after being driven up here from Montana for pasturing.
In 1910 Dr. George Kennedy was president of the club and memberships cost $ 5.00 for men and $ 2.00 for ladies. In 1919 a member of the club, Thomas Gillespie, won the Alberta Open Championship and went on to win a Gold Medal at the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews, Scotland.
In 1924 H.R.H. the Prince of Wales played golf on this course. The present society of our 9 hole course was formed in 1936. Because of the historical significance, approximately half of the course is a historic designated area.
(The picture above is not property of the Fort Macleod Golf Club, you can click the link to read the article that comes with the picture)